Sunday 18 September 2011

A packed weekend – Part 1 (Friday)

Last year I got out and about quite often.  This year has been much quieter, and some weekends have had little of interest.  The weekend just past was the busiest I have had since arriving, and was also a weekend of “firsts” for this trip.  I’ll list them later, just in case you didn't spot them.

Just so I can have 3 parts to this Blog I’ll start on Friday afternoon.  What I call “the dining season” started 2 weeks ago.  The students get to practice food and beverage service skills in the training kitchen and restaurant.  On Friday the students in my Tuesday English classes were cooking and serving dinner.  They were to repeat this at lunch on Saturday but taking different roles. 

I get a free meal, but as they say "there's no such thing as a free meal".  I work for my meal by running a small and different conversation session.

Bali11-IMG_4488
Kevin looks after the fish soup
This time it was the Indonesian menu number 4 – one which eluded me last year.  Students were keen for me to try this as it included “Semur Daging Sapi” which I had used as an illustration in my classes.  To demonstrate to students that waiters must know the menu details I would ask “Is this suitable for vegetarians,  Muslims, Balinese Hindus etc …?”   This menu was definitely not suitable for strict vegetarians as the soup contained fish (“Ikan Laut”) and the main course was based on beef (“Daging Sapi”).

Bali11-IMG_4490
Each student prepares a popular cocktail under
instruction, then all are tested on the names,
content and preparation of each drink.
Bali11-IMG_4493
V/director Sidhi Turker emphasises
 the finer point of table setting.
Students were split into groups which would prepare and cook the dinner, serve as waiters, and learn and serve cocktails. Once the meal was ready all students other than the “waiters” and the small group in kitchen “plating up” became “guests”.

Bali11-IMG_4495
Having finished preparing cocktails students
now wait to be seated as dinner guests.
 Students were split into groups which would prepare and cook the dinner, serve as waiters, and learn and serve cocktails.  Once the meal was ready all students other than the “waiters” and the small group in kitchen “plating up” became “guests”.

Bali11-IMG_4496
Their kitchen duties finished, these
cooks now wait to be seated as guests.

Bali11-IMG_4499
My “fellow guests” at the table were Ika and Adit.
During dinner I have a small captive audience for my English conversation activities.  Ika is used to the routine, having experienced it last year, but it was new for Adit.  The dinner went well, although Erick, our waiter, did show signs of stress as I asked him about the ingredients.  Like a good teacher I has prepared for the lesson and studied the menu with the list of ingredients.  A good dinner, with good company – what a fine start to the weekend.

Did you spot the “first”?  Yes, my first sampling of the Indonesian menu 4:  Asinan Jakarta salad as appetiser, Soup Ikan Laut, main course of Semur Daging Sapi, topped off with Pisang Goreng (fried banana) with vanilla sauce.

Paul in Bali
September 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment