Sunday 7 July 2013

Bali Deja VU … Vu ….. vu ……

Despite initial expectations of an early resumption of blogging activity …… it didn’t happen!  Today is now my 16th day away from home and life here is much the same as on the past 3 trips.  It didn’t take long to slip back into the Bali campus relaxed life style and exchange the cold and wet of Adelaide’s winter weather for the warm (sometimes hot already) and humid climate here. 
Bali13_C7D_0279
 
Bali13_C7D_0275
 
My pictures for my first trip in 2010 began with a pair of pix like this.  Now the airline has changed names and the flight number is different but my feelings on leaving were similar – some sadness at leaving family behind, especially our young grandson, Cameron, who may notice that his poppa isn’t there to babysit him at present; some excitement at renewing friendships and resuming a very rewarding role as a volunteer English Conversation Coach / English Teacher at Universitas Dhyana Pura (“Undhira Bali”).
 
The flight was quiet and uneventful (the way I like it – who needs on-board dramas?).  At about 5 hours into the flight we rounded the end of the Bukit Peninsula and began our approach to Ngurah Rai Airport, Bali.  I was there again.

A good view of the Bukit Peninsula as we swing onto our
approach path.  The window is unusually clean and lacks
the usual scratches which usually hamper photography.
 
Friends from previous trips, Hans and Imelda Mbot met me and drove me to Seminyak where I stayed for 2 nights before going up to the Dalung Campus on Monday morning.  Hans, Imelda, Ferry (our driver) and I enjoyed dinner at a local cafe which was showing the first test between Wallabies and the English/Irish Lions.  They had never seen a Rugby match and thought that a fast moving fight was being broadcast – perhaps they weren’t far wrong.
 
Seminyak Beach in the early morning - before the crowds.
Seminyak Beach on a balmy night at sunset
 
The Kuta district just doesn’t appeal (don’t start me on it!).  Seminyak, a few kilometres north along the broad beach,  is much nicer and more relaxed (and that’s not just my age speaking).   The beach is pleasant at both ends of the day, particularly so when there’s a nice bit of colour in the sky at sunset.
 
OK, 2 days done.  I've "broken the ice" - not that there's much of that here, of course.  Just 98 more  days to consider and report on.  Next blog - a look back at settling in again. 
 
Greetings to family and friends at home, and friends abroad.  “Paul in Bali” is back in his second home.  At the end of this assignment I will have spent almost 14 months in Bali across 4 years.  That’s longer than I’ve lived anywhere outside of Adelaide.
 
If you do leave a comment, please include a return email address as the “comments box” doesn’t know your address and you just might get a reply (sorry, no guarantees).
 
Sampai jumpa   (see you later)
Paul in Bali

No comments:

Post a Comment