Saturday 31 July 2010

Day 2 begins in Bali

My room has no dark blind so I was up with the sun soon after 6:30.  Ah well, I didn't really need to sleep in.  It's been a long time since I've heard roosters crowing at dawn

The flight from Adelaide to Bali was quite smooth, but fairly extensive cloud cover meant views were limited.  On arrival there was immediate sensory overload!  The temperature and high humidity hit me immediately, and the views from the car during the hour drive from airport to college were fascinating.  I've never seen so many small motorcycles and scooters packing the roads.  They were everywhere, and most riders were without helmet.  The bikes swarmed around the cars, and made crossing intersections particularly interesting.  I've not worked out the local "give way" rules, and my driver said the key was to look at the driver and decide if s/he will give way if you move.  Along the roads there was a curious mix of traditional and recent building styles, and a mix of commercial and domestic architecture.

Dalung is on the north-west fringe of Denpasar and was until recently a small rural farming community.  In sections the rice paddies separate the shops and buildings and come right up to the main road.

Last night's dinner at the home of a friend of my host was delicious.  Only the fiery sambal defeated me, but I recovered after extra serves of plain rice and cool water.

Before turning in last night I was able to speak with Judy and David via Skype, so distance is not quite the great separator it once was. 

Now for a shower and  a hunt for some breakfast.  I have access to the staff kitchen, but no provisions on hand yet.  The college is fringed by small food stores (called "warung") which cater to the student population, so I'll see what I can find.  Most important thing to remember:  "don't drink the water".   More later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul. Good to hear you have arrived safely. I will put it on the foyer whiteboard tomorrow. Keep drinking that bottled water :-) Mostyn
    (p.s. not sure if you will get this twice. the page crashed on me returning from a preview of a profile selection)
    pps. What is the idea behind all the different profile choices? I have sent it as anonymous, as it seems to be the only one that doesn't ask for more information. I hope you get this. Mostyn

    ReplyDelete