Wednesday 25 August 2010

Another wedding - make it a double

I'm working my way towards a tally to match the title of the Hugh Grant film "Four Weddings and a Funeral".  I'm half way there with weddings, and with another in 2 weeks time I'm confident of reaching that part of the tally.  Although I have not been to a funeral I did attend a formal "lying in state" type of occasion at a Balinese house, but that's another story, and not a real funeral.

Last Saturday I was privileged to attend a double wedding,  Not only were two sisters married in the same ceremony, but the parents of the brides celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary.  Such a coincidence of events called for a big celebration, and this certainly was.  The grounds of the Dhyana Pura Resort Hotel (which is owned by an agency of the Protestant Church in Bali) were decorated and lit up for this festive occasion attended by many guests.   
The hotel grounds provided a splendid
setting for the wedding celebration.

I've had personal experience of getting families together for wedding photos, but my experiences were nothing compared with the task at this and also the first wedding I attended (at Blimbingsari - see an earlier post).  Two couples and three families (remember the brides were of the same family) adds up to lots of people.  Just as well the stage provided a sufficiently large set on which to arrange everyone.

Getting the families together for photos
(group extended way out on each side!)
The cultural elements fascinated me, as at Blimbingsari.  The sound of the gamelan orchestra is captivating, and the dancers were just stunning in their movements, gestures and costumes.  Apart from the obvious larger body movements you must also watch the more subtle hand and finger movements, which along with facial expressions and eye movements, play important parts in the dance routines.

Balinese dancer - just watch her eyes
The wedding outfits of brides and grooms are modelled on costumes of past nobles, and the grooms carry an ornamental dagger, or short sword.  Philipp, new husband of Ziphora, is German.  He was kitted out splendidly, but looked just a little uncomfortable in his traditional Balinese costume.  Philipp's parents were also appropriately attired.  Many women were sporting the beautiful and ornate hair clasps which I've seen at the more formal functions I've been to.  Most are fine examples of the jeweller's art.

Ziphora and Philipp - queen and king for a day
All the social events I've attended have involved feasting, and this was no exception.  Snacks were available for guests as they arrived, and later several food serveries catered to the large crowd of guests and offered an interesting selection of traditional dishes. 

I went back to the grounds the next morning and it was as if the event had never taken place as the grounds had been returned to their normal state.

My best wishes to Garry and Agnes, Philipp and Ziphora for long and happy lives together.  Thank you for letting me be part of your special occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment