Wednesday 4 August 2010

Settling in (but not into a routine)

During the last 3 days I've met many staff members, and remembered some of the names.  I've met several with the name Made or Wayan.  I've also met a Godfrey, and a Steven, but they either came from another island of Indonesia, adopted a Western nickname, or were given a non-traditional name. The traditional Balinese children's names are, in order of birth:  Wayan, Made, Nyoman and Ketut. If there are more than 4 children, they start again with Wayan.  Actually its a bit more complicated than that, as Hindu caste factors and external events can introduce some systematic alternatives.   In directories and on business cards the men preface their names with "I" and the women use "Ni" (I have cards with examples of the male usage, but only heard of female use).  I've met "I Wayan Mastra" (a first born) and "I Made Priana" (a second born), but not a Nyoman or Katut (although there is a "Katut" on the short telephone contact list.)


On Monday I met the Director and was introduced at two gatherings of staff and students.  We've already had discussions on my schedule, but as most of the students in my target groups don’t resume their classes until later this month I am starting with groups of teachers and possibly some support staff. Even in my casual meetings with staff members I’ve noticed huge differences in English speaking abilities. Some are confident, some have good vocabularies and some have good pronunciation. It is pleasing to note that some have all three characteristics.


The College, or Institute, has several branches.  One (STIM) conducts bachelor degree programs in Hotel and Tourism Management.  Another branch (PPLP) conducts certificate programs (like our TAFE courses) in Hotel Housekeeping, Hotel Front of House, Food and Beverage Preparation, and Food and Beverage Service. I’ve seen some of the “Housekeeping” students making up the visitor rooms on my floor under watchful assessment. The final section (at present) is a senior high school with vocational training. A new building is under construction for these students.


My hosts have been unfailingly friendly, courteous, hospitable and helpful. One member of “housekeeping” perhaps responded a bit too enthusiastically to my request for a powerboard with a reasonable lead (to get to a power point behind furniture). When he couldn’t spot just what I was after I said not to worry, but he hurried off and came back with an industrial strength roll of cable with 4 outlets and a drum with perhaps 30 metres of cable (see picture). How could I say “no thanks” after that effort?

My industrial strength extension cord.


Yesterday as I left one building I heard traditional music being played from an upper floor, and more than a hundred students in either school uniform or traditional costume (boys with hats) formed a double line from the gate, through the gardens, right up to the main door of the building. They were preparing for the visit of some senior officials from the Education Department (and entourage). As the visitors arrived the students greeted them with song and the traditional hand gesture of greeting and welcome as the visitors passed along the corridor of students. (see my photos in the albums of this blog).



Although my internet connection is rather slow during the day, it does get better at night when the students have left. It may be even slower later this month when all students are back. Evening speeds are sufficient to hold a reasonable Skype video call to family members. I have only authorised connections with family and a few friends as there are too many nuisance callers using Skye, but I’m open to requests to expand my circle of contacts. Bali’s time zone is the same as for Perth (GMT +8), so I’m 1.5 hours behind Sth Aust, 2 hrs behind Eastern time – until daylight saving.

I saw a "headline report" on Bali TV this morning and had email confirmation from Aust Dept of Foreign Affairs that the Indonesian Govt has officially confirmed that Rabies is present in Bali (health services have known that for ages!). I’ve seen some really sad looking dogs on the streets, but none were salivating, eyeing me off and acting strangely. Even though I had the course of rabies shots (an expensive precaution, but not complete protection) I still give dogs a cautiously wide berth when I pass them. I’m more concerned about monkeys at sites I’m likely to visit. They can be capricious and nasty.

That’s the more interesting news. I’ve got a stack of reading in advance of next weeks class, and am working through my “Teach Yourself Indonesian” notes. Next week when I have mastered a few more words I will be the student in some conversational practice. More of that later.

Now it’s time for bed. “Sampai jumpa” (until we meet again)

Paul in Bali

No comments:

Post a Comment