Tuesday 16 August 2011

The new high school building

Some things change ... some stay they same.  Some change, but retain their sameness.  It's like that here at Kampus Dhyana Pura, Dalung, Bali.  Whilst there have been many visible small changes, it still feels the same.  Even from the main road, the new High School building was a visible sign of external change as it stod out from its surrounds.

When I arrived at Dhyana Pura in July 2010 the preliminary work for the building was well under way.  My predecessors, Trevor and Maureen Miller, had described it and shown me pictures of the foundation and framework. 

Almost my first view of the building (31/7/10)
From the kitchen window I would follow the gradual progress, and mark the milestones such as the pouring of a new floor. When I left after 3 months the building had clearly advanced, but I expected it would be at least a year before it was ready.

Progress at 22/8/10
Each day I would check the progress.  When workmen finished the reinforcing steel work I knew that the concrete trucks would soon arrive.  At last the floor was poured and workmen could move up a stage.

The concrete floor is being poured (4/9/10)
Once the floor had cured the workmen rapidly prepared the frames and reinforcing for the next floor.  Unlike most of our multi-storey buildings which are built into the external steel frame, this building hoisted itself up floor by floor.  It gave me a different way to watch a building grow.  I was also continually amazed at the many ways in which bamboo could be used -- it is an amazingly strong and adaptable material.

The next level  goes up (11/10/10)
Work had largely finished on the next floor when I left.  I waited for the concrete pumping crane and tanker, but missed it.
This floor is ready for the concrete (26/10/10)
I hoped the floor would be poured and work would begin on the next level, but that did not happen. Here is my final view of the structure - just before leaving for the airport.
My final view as I left the college (31/10/10)
Roz Elkington kindly passed on to me the next photo which was taken in April 2011.  In less than 6 months there has been substantial progress on the building.

The view from the college gate (8/4/2011)


I was fortunate to capture a picture of the banner at the building site.  Soon after this it was smashed by trucks delivering materials.  I was curious to see if the real building resembled the architect's vision.  What do you think?

The architect's vision (31/7/10)
The vision realised (14/8/2011)
The new building looks very elegant, yet is simple and in keeping with the local style.  On the front fence is the sign announcing the courses available for study.  The building still carried some of the banners and decorations from the opening just a few days before I arrived.

The new study programs
The high school operates 6 days a week, so I was able to enter it on a Saturday. 

The building has 4 floors and a "basement" - the "ground floor" is actually up the steps so "basement" is partly above the external ground level. 

Students informally making music at the entrance (13/8/11)

The foyer and reception area (13/8/11)
Although the structure is complete and the building is largely operational, some work continues on surrounds and the internal fit-out. The computer and language laboratories were not yet in use.

A teacher checking new computers
in the student pool (13/8/11)
The language laboratory will mainly be used for teaching English, but other languages can be taught just by chnanging the programs.
The brand new language laboratory  (13/8/11)
As high school students move from their existing classrooms into the impressive new building they will free up space for expansion of the new university courses.

The new building catches the late afternoon sun, as seen
from the vantage point at the kitchen window (11/8/11)
Paul in Bali

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul - great to see the progress - we were also intrigued by the impressive bamboo scaffolding! I will try to attach here (otherwise I will email) at least 1 of my photos of the "missing" chapters of your story, which I saw and photographed on my April trips!

    ReplyDelete