Sunday 14 August 2011

Paul in Bali - back again

Welcome to my first posting for 2011.  For over 9 months it was “Paul NO LONGER in Bali”, despite the Blog title.  Now Paul IS in Bali, again.  My experiences in 2010 in Bali as a volunteer “English conversation coach” were so numerous and enjoyable that I have returned (thanks Judy for encouraging me and blessing my return).

I arrived at Ngurah Rai airport late afternoon, Wednesday 10th August, where I was met by Pak Sidhi, one of the Vice Directors of the Dhyana Pura Hotel and Tourism Training Centre.  That name is about to change, but more about that later.


The drive to the college through familiar territory brought back many memories.  Not all was the same as there have been changes in Dalung.  Some familiar buildings had been demolished, others had sprung up.  The same was different, what was different was still the same.


It was impossible to miss one most important change.  The years of planning the college’s development have culminated in its national accreditation, and the banners across entrance gates and around the college proudly proclaim the new name and vision.  The college is becoming “Universitas Dhyana Pura”.  Congratulations to all involved.
Campus main gate, with banners announcing the new status

My room this year is on the western side of the building so I now have a view across the fields although I was saddened not to be able see the swaying rice because the field is now planted with vegetables.  (My post last year about rice and the rice field is in the Archive section at the right of the page).  Although the new academic year’s activities begin next week, there were still students on campus, and it was really was a great delight to be recognised and warmly greeted by students I taught and spoke with last year.


My "welcome" flowers, and the
campus dossier (just like a real hotel)


Now that I have “broken the ice” and posted my first report I will write about life here on campus as events unfold.


Paul-in-Bali (once again)

** You can access the photo albums from 2010 from the "Archives" at right by expanding the entries and selecting those marked "Photo Gallery" or by following this link direct to the collected albums.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Well a fully-fledged University now. A big step. Does that change anything for you re: your curriculum? Good to see you are settling in again. When do your classes start? I will put an update in the Gully Life for you, now your blog is 'live' again. Enjoy your bread-and-butter pudding. Mostyn

    ReplyDelete